Promoting peace through mutual respect, understanding and cooperation - one community, one individual at a time.

Wednesday, August 30, 2017

Matthew Peavler: My Experience in Villers-sur-mer

Matthew Peavler participated in the 2017 Deauville Internship Program, where he worked for 2 months at the Paleospace Museum in Villers-sur-mer.  

My Experience in Villers-sur-mer


I have been studying French for six years, but I had never left the United States before my internship in Villers. My internship, unlike most, was not in Deauville, but instead in the adjacent, smaller town of Villers-sur-Mer.

Going in, I did not have a good idea of what to expect. I knew that I would be interning at the Paleospace museum, and I knew that I would be the only American there. I knew I would be living at a house with other seasonal workers, lifeguards and the like. Past all this, I did not know what to expect, and even though I was excited to come to France, the whole thing was very daunting. On my way over, I was asking myself if I was ready to be so totally immersed in French. 

When I arrived at the museum, tired from my flight, it was very difficult for me to understand anyone speaking to me, and when they talked to each other it was impossible. While this difficulty was disheartening, it did not last very long. After my first week, I was hanging out with my housemates every night for dinner and having conversations with my coworkers. The immersion in the language that this placement gave me allowed my French skills to grow faster than they ever have before and I still find myself caught off guard when I can smoothly hold a conversation with someone for long periods of time.

Not only did I get to improve my French, I also got to experience Normandy by travelling around on my days off and wandering around Villers on other days off. Notable places I visited include Honfleur, Mont St. Michel, Deauville, Caen, and the American Cemetery at Omaha Beach. Normandy has such a wealth of history that there’s a practically endless amount of things to do in the region.





My time in Villers-sur-Mer improved my French skills, exposed me to foreign culture, and allowed me to experience the history of Normandy.



No comments:

Post a Comment