Promoting peace through mutual respect, understanding and cooperation - one community, one individual at a time.

Wednesday, August 23, 2017

Anastasia Dekeyser: My American Experience

Anastasia Dekeyser participated in an internship in Lexington during the summer of 2014.  She worked at the University of Kentucky International Center in the Marketing and Communications department.  

My American Experience


Hi, I’m Anastasia a French student. Due to my studies, I made a decision for an internship. I wanted to go in USA because I wanted to have my American Dream and it was a real opportunity for me to improve my English and to live as an American. 

My American life began with many problems at the American border.  I forgot in France my important papers.  I told this memory to my friend they are so surprised and said to me poor Anastasia; but for me it was the beginning of an unforgettable American life.

I lived with Cathy and Steve Nohe who were both so sympathetic, nice, funny and generous. Thanks to them, I discovered the American life and atmosphere.

Steve, Cathy, Flora, Carole and I at the Patriotic Concert. 
One of my favorite memories was a dinner: Cathy cooked a very big turkey in order to initiate us to the Thanksgiving atmosphere... in July. This feeling of sharing, laughing was very impressive and interesting. There were lots of communities at this dinner: Japanese, American, French... a real melting pot!





So many sauces to choose from!
Learning to make sushi from Cathy's friend Miho.  
Another memory was our first American fast food.  I think I have never seen a big onion rings as this day.


The last important memory (even though I have lot of things to tell) was the 4th of July.  In America it looks like as our 14th July in France [Bastille Day]... so patriotic and festive.








Our lifestyle was very cool without stress in Lexington.  Cathy and Steve would drop off their 3 French students to their internship and pick up us to the house where we chill to the swimming pool or in a garden. 





We also discovered the Bourbon industry and Red River Gorge. 



I worked with Sarah Martin in the Sister Cities Million Dollar Hole in One Golf Competition. 


Regarding the internship, it was in the marketing department at the University of Kentucky.  It was interesting to promote and communicate about the life in the American campus.  I made leaflets, posted on social media, and it was in requirements with my French studies! And I would like to add that I made a new friend during my internship: Flora.  I visited her in Marseille where she lives now.  While she was in Lexington, she worked at Bluegrass Baking Company. 





I have lot of memories in America and as soon as I can I will go back there.

Thank you so much American people who are so nice: Mrs and Mr Nohe, my American parents, and thank you Lexington Sister Cities for this opportunity!






No comments:

Post a Comment