Promoting peace through mutual respect, understanding and cooperation - one community, one individual at a time.

Monday, August 7, 2017

Grace Taylor: The (French) Sister I Always Wanted

Grace Taylor participated in the 2016 Lexington-Deauville High School Student Exchange.  Her brother, Joshua, participated in the program in 2013.  

The (French) Sister I Always Wanted

When I was twelve years old, my older brother did the sister cities exchange, and I met, for the first time in my life, a French person. Bastien, our first exchange student from Deauville, taught me many different phrases and words in French. It was my first experience with the language, and I instantly fell in love with it. However, the three short weeks that Bastien was in the United States soon came to an end. We showed Bastien everything we could about the United States, including a trip to Washington DC, Louisville, and Cincinnati.


When Bastien left, I decided I wanted to learn French before I started taking the class in high school. Duo-lingo soon became my best friend. I started taking French class two years later, and I fell deeper in love with the language, the culture, and overall everything French, or Francophone. I had discussed with my French teacher about doing the Sister Cities Program after my sophomore year, because I found myself wanting to experience French culture first hand. After one year of French I knew I needed to know more before I tried anything like the Sister Cities Program.


It was the very first week of summer, and I was spending it like any normal teenager would: watching Netflix. I had a summer job babysitting everyday for my neighbor already lined up, and I was starting the next week. I was trying to savor the freedom of sleeping in. I got a phone call from my mom, and she started it out saying, “Grace, you need to quit your job,” I was so upset with my mom, because this was my first job ever, and I wanted the experience. She then continued with, “Because the Sister Cities Program needs you to fill in for someone who backed out of the program.” It didn’t hit me until later that my mom was saying that I was doing the exchange a year earlier than I intended to, and it also didn’t hit me until later that I was leaving for France in under 18 days.


Those two and half weeks were spent studying, preparing for the trip, and learning as much French as I could. I knew that I was severely under prepared. However, I had an idea of what to expect, because of my family’s previous experiences with the program.


When we got to the airport I said goodbye to my parents.  This was the longest I was going to go without seeing either of them, and I was only 14, almost 15, years old at the time. However, despite my fears, we made it through the airport, to France, through customs, and to the bus that would take us to Deauville, all without any major complications. On the bus to Deauville, I studied until I literally fell asleep with a book in my hand.  I was so nervous to meet my French family.


We got off the bus and my correspondent, Charlotte, greets me with the biggest hug. I knew that I was in the right place. We finally made it to her house, and we got to talk a little bit. She understood that I didn’t understand a lot of French, so she talked slowly, and when I still didn’t understand, she would tell me in English. Her parents, Isa and Eric, were also so kind and understanding to me. I don’t think I could have gotten a better correspondent.

We soon began to hang out with the other students in the exchange, and it was clear that we would become a close knit family after our time spent together. We did everything with the group, from visiting the Normandy beaches to camping at one of the French kid’s house. I even got to see Bastien again! When we went to America, we went to DC, King’s Island, and places like Natural Bridge. I look back on the photos and videos remembering that I could not have spent my summer a better way.




When the French had to go home, I don’t think I have ever cried that much. I didn’t think that I would ever see Charlotte again, and we were both heartbroken that we wouldn’t see each other. Through those six weeks we became sisters, and I knew I would never lose my French sister.


We texted throughout the entire year, and sometime in March the following year, I got a text from Charlotte asking for some help. She asked if she could come back this summer, and without even asking my parents, I told her she could. When I talked with my parents later that night, they were so excited to have Charlotte back in America.


We picked up Charlotte from the airport, and it was like she had never left. We just hung out at my house, spending time together. It felt so good to have Charlotte back in the United States, and I was so sad to see her go again. However, this time we had a plan, I am hoping to be able to go back to France next summer, and spend more time with my French family.


This experience opened my eyes to how amazing the world is, I found a way to have an international friendship, and also a lifelong friendship. This program opened so many doors, that I never thought possible. I am so glad that I did it, and I wouldn’t give up this experience for the world.  








No comments:

Post a Comment