Promoting peace through mutual respect, understanding and cooperation - one community, one individual at a time.

Monday, July 31, 2017

Sarah Kinnicutt: Deauville felt like home

Sarah Kinnicutt participated in the 2010 Lexington-Deauville High School Student Exchange program.  She was also selected as one of the 2014-2015 Deauville Teaching Assistants.  

Deauville Felt Like Home

I was forced into the French language. At my tiny private high school is was the only option for a foreign language. Although studying French wouldn't have been my first choice, I am so glad that I did because it led me to Deauville.

My first experience with Deauville was the 2010 high school exchange. The summer I graduated from high school I had the chance to spend six weeks with a student from Deauville- three weeks in France then three weeks in Lexington. Although I was nervous, my host family was gracious beyond belief. Berengere and I got along very well, and her family went out of their way to make sure I felt welcomed. As great as it was visiting famous sites and exploring new cities, my favorite part of the exchange was getting to know a family and really using my French language. 
My host family and I in Paris.  
 When we came back to Lexington, my parents were thrilled to have a French student in their home. Berengere fit into our family just as well as I had fit into hers. Taking her back to the airport had all of us- my siblings included- in tears. Even though we had only spent a few weeks together, I think we both separated that summer knowing that we forever had homes in our sister cities.

Deauville and Lexington students who participated in the 2010 exchange. 
More than a year later, I was studying in England and had the chance to visit France again. I knew I had to go back to Deauville! Even though we hadn't talked much since our summer exchange, Berengere and her family welcomed me with open arms. After months of living in another country, Deauville felt like home. Leaving after that weekend was almost harder than leaving after my first trip had been. From that point on, I was determined to live in France one day. 

Berengere and I with a friend in Normandy, Fall 2011. 
As my time at WKU came to a close, I was eagerly looking for jobs in France. I was interested in jobs in Normandy, never dreaming that I might actually get to come to Deauville. Then I learned about the Sister Cities teaching assistant job. For one year I would get to live in Deaville, teach elementary students, and spend time in the community. Eventually I was offered the job and began looking forward to a whole year spent in the city I loved. 


That year in Deauville will forever be a defining year of my life. I lived with three wonderful girls, learned how to teach, learned a lot about small children, and spent time with great people.

2014-2015 TAs with Lexington Sister Cities Executive Director Kay Sargent in Deauville, 2014. 
My main responsibility was teaching English to 4, 5, and 6 year olds. My favorite part of the job was leading after-school clubs for 1st-5th grade students. We led craft and dance sessions, helped kids with their homework, and really had a chance to work one on one with students enthusiastic about English language and culture.

Kindergarten (Grand Section) students work on identifying colors. 

Christmas celebrations. 
We were eager to learn as much as we could about French culture and people were eager to teach us! We participated in local Zumba classes, cultural events, and art festivals. 

Additionally, our new friends wanted to participate in American traditions, such as Thanksgiving. One Sunday afternoon we crammed 15 people into our tiny kitchen and shared all of our favorite dishes with neighbors and co-workers. We had such a good time that one co-worker implemented monthly dinners where he provided everything as long as we brought sweet potato casserole. 

French Thanksgiving Celebration

So much food!
Another highlight of my time in Deauville was tutoring a student named Emma. Emma and her family had just moved to Deauville and her mom was worried they would be behind in English. Twice a week I spent time with her and we wrote to pen pals, played games, and sang songs. It was great to see young students developing friendships across continents!



Towards the end of my time in Deauville, I saw the program come full circle. The brother of a dear friend was participating in the high school exchange that summer and I got to welcome him to the city I knew he would come to love. After years of telling my teachers and friends how great the high school exchange is, it was so fun to finally share it with someone else.


Even with the amazing working and learning opportunities, hands down the best experience of my time in Deauville was Christmas. My family came to visit and my host family from 2010 invited them over for a French Christmas dinner. There was great food and even better company. Four years after exchanging daughters, it was so special for the rest of our families to sit down and share a meal together. 


Although I am no longer teaching English or young children, I have benefited greatly from my experiences in Deauville.  I am constantly using the skills and methods my French colleagues taught me as a director of an after-school program for high-risk students in Bowling Green. This year, I also got to use my French language skills as I worked with two refugee students who only spoke French.


Above all, I appreciate the people who opened their homes to us and made sure that Deauville will forever hold a very special place in my heart. 

No comments:

Post a Comment