Promoting peace through mutual respect, understanding and cooperation - one community, one individual at a time.

Friday, September 16, 2016

Guest Post: 8 Years and Counting...


Enjoy our guest post from Aurore Dary, a French student who participated in 3 Lexington Sister Cities Programs!

8 years and counting...

As I first stepped out of the plane at Lexington Bluegrass airport in July 2008, never would I have thought that this would be the start of a long, beautiful journey.

In the summer of July 2008, when I was only 15 years old, I participated in the Deauville-Lexington exchange program. I welcomed an American high school student, Amanda, into my home in Normandy, France, for a month, and then spent the same amount of time with her and her family in Lexington. Although I was feeling a bit homesick and nervous, I enjoyed my time thoroughly and had an eye-opening experience. I was immersed in a new culture and had to speak English daily. My host family was incredible and took me to visit various places in Kentucky, including Frankfort and Mammoth Cave, while Lexington Sister Cities took all of us students around Lexington’s landmarks such as the Kentucky Horse Park. This exchange shaped my love for the English language and the American culture. It was the birthplace of my wanderlust.


Frankfort, July 2008
Little did I know back then that five years later I would get to go back to Kentucky, this time for a much longer period of time.

As my little sister was getting interested in going on the same exchange program I did when I was her age, I went to a Sister Cities meeting with her and found out about their partnership with the University of Kentucky which allows two to three Deauville students to study at UK tuition-free each year. I immediately applied for it. After many months of preparation, a thorough English test and many hours spent stressing over the visa process, I moved to Kentucky for the 2013-2014 academic year. It was the perfect time for me to “study abroad” as I had just obtained my bachelor’s degree in English as a foreign language. Settling in was not easy at first, but my host family from my previous exchange was of valuable help and I don’t know how I would have been able to do this without their constant support.

Although my grades did not matter regarding my French university curriculum, I tried to do my best in each class I had taken. I was able to choose from a large variety of subjects, which was very helpful in deciding what I wanted to do with my life. I studied world politics, communications, and geography.  Each class strengthened my English writing, reading and understanding skills. As for my spoken skills, I owe them all to my peers at UK. Living in the dorms, being surrounded by, and being friends with American students, I was finally able to speak English with fluency and confidence, thus giving more value to my bachelor’s degree. I also became more and more acquainted with the American culture, but with a lot of other cultures too. Indeed, one of my most favorite aspects of UK is its diverse student population. I became friends with people from all over the world. Each of them taught me something about their country, culture, language, religion. It broadened my horizons in many ways and made me a more tolerant and culturally aware person. Being out of my comfort zone was empowering.

My life at UK did not just revolve around campus, although my time spent there was nothing short of amazing as I went to as many student events and sports games as I could in order to learn more about the American culture. I was also able to travel around Kentucky again and to other states. I went to Wisconsin over Thanksgiving break. I met up with a friend from France in Las Vegas. I travelled with another friend to Florida and rode the scariest roller coasters. I made one of my life-long dreams come true by going to New York City.

When the time had come to go home, it was heart-wrenching. As much as I had missed my friends and family back in Normandy, Kentucky had become home. I knew that this experience had helped me become the adult I am now. I went back to France with the confidence I was previously lacking, with life-long friendships, with more knowledge of the world than I had dared to imagine, with English speaking skills that I knew would make a difference on the job market, and with the determination to find a career that would suit me. I left Kentucky with the feeling that I could accomplish anything I set my heart to.
My host sister, Amanda, and I at a Kentucky football game. 
After another year and a second bachelor’s degree (why stop at two?), guess who was back in Kentucky for another three months?

Lexington Sister Cities gave me the opportunity to use another one of their amazing programs by granting me an internship with the Lexington Global Engagement Center (Global Lex) whose opening I participated in. During summer 2015, I had the privilege of working with this incredible institution which provides help to the refugee and immigrant population of Lexington, while promoting cultural diversity. This internship made me understand that I wanted to give an international dimension to my future career. It also gifted me with the opportunity to meet new people and get reacquainted with the people in Kentucky whom I had come to cherish over the years.

Me and Nanina.  Both of us were interning in Lexington.  This was taken in Frankfort, KY on one of the day trips organized by Lexington Sister Cities.  
As I am now starting my second and last year in graduate school, I reflect on my experiences through the Lexington Sister Cities exchange programs, and I feel grateful. I’m grateful for these opportunities that have given me not only academic and professional skills, but also human experiences that have shaped the person I am today. I’m grateful for my host family and for all the people I have met in Kentucky. Their kindness and generosity take my breath away.

I am not sure where my life will take me, but I am currently studying something I am passionate about and I know Lexington had a role to play in that as it is the place where I found myself. I’m aware that speaking another language, having studied and having worked abroad will be valuable on the job market once I graduate.

I would like to take a moment to remember my friend Shabika who sadly passed away in August 2016. My experience at UK would not have been the same without her, and I know a lot of people can say the same. You are dearly missed, Bee.


Until next time, My Old Kentucky Home

No comments:

Post a Comment