Promoting peace through mutual respect, understanding and cooperation - one community, one individual at a time.

Friday, August 14, 2020

Exploring our Sister Cities - August 14, 2020

 Exploring Our Sister Cities


“Traveling - it leaves you speechless, then turns you into a storyteller”

- Ibn Battuta

Ibn Battuta was a Moroccan Scholar, who was an explorer and extensively traveled the medieval world.


Cook with us!

Follow this recipe for easy to make French Crêpes, perfect for anyone to make!


Ingredients: 

1 ½ cups of milk

1 cup of flour

2 tablespoons of sugar

2 eggs

1 tablespoon of oil 


Directions

  1. Mix together flour, sugar, eggs, and oil until well combined. 

  2. Add the milk little by little, making sure there are no clumps as you mix. 

  3. Mix well and let the batter rest

  4. Heat up medium pan (be sure to spray non stick cooking spray on the pan between every couple crêpes)

  5. Use a ladle to pour a thin layer of the batter onto the pan, being sure to put excess batter back into the bowl. 

  6. When the crêpe has sufficiently cooked (There are no shiny or liquidy parts) flip the crêpe to cook the other side. 

  7. Fill crêpe with desired fillings (butter and sugar, nutella and strawberries, it can even be a savory crêpe)

  8. Bon appétit!


Fast Fact

County Kildare, Ireland and Deauville, France are Sister Cities with each other and Lexington. All three are major centers of Thoroughbred breeding in each of their respective countries. 


Alumni Testimonial 

Mai Takatsuji participated in the Shinhidaka student exchange in 2013, and she was a member of the Japanese delegation to Lexington in 2019 celebrating 30 years of twinning between the two cities. Currently, Mai works in the office of an international company in Japan. Read below to hear Mai’s take on what the Sister Cities program has done for her. 

“Visiting Lexington as an exchange student was my very first time to travel overseas. I was 16 at that time and I barely understood what my host family was saying to me. However my host family took care of me really nice and they kept trying to make me feel home. Even if I couldn’t understand what they were talking to me, I felt their love. And I found second home and second family. This experience completely changed my life and made my mind that I would definitely come back to my second home, Lexington to express my feelings toward my sweet host family by using my own words in English. It encouraged me to study English really hard. 3 years after the first visit of Lexington, I made a trip to Lexington by my own to visit my host family and stayed with them a whole week. Huge thanks to my host family, the visit was absolutely amazing. And again, I made my mind that I would come back to this place AGAIN. In 2019, I got an amazing opportunity to be a member of delegations for celebrating 30 years of sister city relations. I was really honored to be a part of this program for over 7 years. I’ve fallen in love with this amazing city, Lexington. And can’t thank enough to everyone who have involved this program. And I feel that I am very lucky to be able to have been part of this program and met my host family who are really special people in my life. These experiences have broadened my world. I’ve traveled 35 countries and joined 2 international volunteer works in Cambodia. I’ve met over 20 people from all over the world through the experience of being a host of Couchsurfing. I’m working at International company in Japan right now. My next dream is to move overseas and work internationally.

And in the near future, I would like to do something to contribute to the sister cities community.”



Playlist of the Week 

Follow us on Spotify to keep up with our playlists, you can find us under the username Lexington Sister Cities. This week we have a playlist dedicated to our Sister City in England, Newmarket. Check it out here.  


No comments:

Post a Comment